Panthers, 1933, bronze
Gift of Andrew Jergens and Byron D. Miller
Collection of The Society of the Four Arts, 1970.34
Two black panthers guard the main entrance to the King Library. Created by American sculptor Wheeler Williams, the realistic felines creep forward and watch visitors as they ascend the staircase to the library’s entrance. Animal sculptures of their kind go back to Giambologna in Florence in the sixteenth century and more recently to the French nineteenth century sculptor Antoine-Louis Barye.