At the top of the ramp is a sculpture titled “Reaching” by American artist Edward Fenno Hoffman III (1916-1991). It was originally designed to be placed in water so that the frog and lily pad would rest on the surface. The sculpture is in memory of Margaret Richardson Trout and was given to the Four Arts by her family on November 21, 1990.
Edward Fenno Hoffman III was a sculptor of portraits, children, and religious themes. He studied at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts and worked with Paul Manship briefly. He began exhibiting his sculpture in New York City in 1956. His sculptures are in the permanent collections of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, and other notable museums. His public sculptures include a “Pieta” at the American Cathedral in Rome, Italy, and an “Ascension” at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York City.
Continue north along the path until you see the black iron gates on the left. They were donated by Ambassador and Mrs. Edward E. Elson.